Wednesday, October 10, 2007

nightmare theatre


So I heard a scary idea today and the more i thought about it, the more it terrified me. The idea goes some thing like this (very very over-simplified version)-
Scientist have been making progress restoring sight to the blind with electronics, a camera pics up images and transcribes them directly onto the brain. This sort of thing is in its infancy, but the technology exists. The perception of visual elements of dreams appear on brain images in the same way as do images a person sees. So by simply perfecting and reversing the technology, dream images can be taken from a brain and captured to be viewed as from a camera.

This scares the Scott Farkus out of me.

I am not scared just that someone else could see me show up naked to play tennis at school when I forgot I had an exam, though that is a scary thought, or that someone would see me doing things my mother would not approve of. I am scared of those other dreams, the kind you are glad to wake from. Some dreams, at least for me have been so terrifying that many interveneing years have not softened their grotesque. Some dreams are meant to be awakened from. Some are so disturbing that the brain forces an exit.
Most are harmless, surreal narratives that in the light of day are innocuous if not funny. Many dreams are enjoyable.
But some dreams are best left to fester and rot in the neural scar tissue from which they spawned.

No comments: