Monday, October 29, 2007

holding on while on hold

So, even in this age of the World Wild Interweb, I still have to deal with toll free phone numbers, by which i mean i have to sit there and wait through the delightful electric piano extended version of "He ain't Heavy, He's my Brother" until finally someone in Turkmenistan picks up and has to transfer me to someone in the Ottoman Empire who tells me that he can't help because an unrelated server is down, OR I have to sit through the monotonous halting monosyllabic governmental zombie robot finishes telling me exactly the series of numbers I have already dialled and then gets to the part I need to hear.
The latter is so bad that during the hours I have to spend at work at the mercy of this slow talking she-puter, I have to actually stand up and remain on my feet as I will fall asleep, lulled by her soulless mocking.
So you can imagine my trepidation upon arriving home knowing that i was going to have to call the electronic communication provider to once again provide my name, number, account number, account description, product serial number, storm door height and width, name of my mothers grade school and the last three numbers of my social security and bank statements.
In a fit of futility I decided to try the service again one more time to see if it had been fixed before sacrificing my evening to the hot line. And then something wondrous happened. Everything worked as it had been foretold to me by the sales woman and various pamphlets. I can not fully describe my elation. The knowledge that I could go the rest of the night without waiting on hold.

So now we can all enjoy this

No comments: