Monday, August 20, 2007

Un-Droughtiness

Some thoughts on the rain. It's 8:25 am, the wind picks up from the west, its really coming down now. And here's me: unbuttoned beige trench coat flapping, shoulders hunched against the harsh, mid-sixty degrees chill, classic black umbrella with shinny point aimed at the heavens and curved wooden handle tucked to my side. I look like someone’s sloppy great uncle from jolly old England. Awesome: a man ready to battle clientele and the elements simultaneously.

It strikes me that during rain storms it may be more preferable to be a cat than a dog. whether they like it or not, Indy and Dela have little choice but to go brave the elements. Whereas their friend Monty can remain indoors, conducting business in his own warm, dry sanctuary, quietly brooding and concocting new outrages. Indy and Dela must be wiped off as they re-enter the shelter of home, whilst Monty chooses when and by whom he may be touched. On the other hand, I think I prefer wiping 8 feet to cleaning the cavernous litter box of despair.

3 comments:

Mrs. White said...

At least your dogs will go outside in the rain. Chloe resorts to holding it, then giving me the weepy eyes because her kidneys are backing up, as if all of this is my fault.

Carrie said...

Monty would like to remind you that not only is he superior because he dos not have to go outside in the mud and the rain to relieve himself, but also because he has the decency to cover up his business when he's done. Also, he's got a badass mane that he says he plans to spend 3 hours grooming this morning, so we won't forget he's got a little lion in him.

Carol said...

By the way, you spelled your dog's name wrong.

It’s Della, not Dela. I'm very disappointed in you...