Thursday, October 9, 2008

political periphery

So, if you listen carefully, you will note that behind the din of quasi-political rhetoric spewed forth by the obnoxious talking-point parrot pundits, is a barely audible chorus of of intellect. Yes, there are a few left amid the legion of commentators that can still think AND speak.
Though, I often disagree with their conclusions, I hold in high esteem the arguments of scarce few of the talking heads that have maintained their integrity. Such craft is a rare thing. More often, politicians and pundits alike, forgo the clarity of a sound argument in favor of a sound bite. The systematic logic that I admire seems all but lost in this day of bumper sticker policy.
So I was terribly saddened when I read of P.J. O'Rourke's recent diagnosis of cancer.

Fortunately, his prognosis is favorable and he will again rejoin the company of George Will, Robert Reich and Joe Klein. His sarcasm and wit have also been spared and I am glad that they now extend to his ponderings of the metaphysical.
Get well soon, Mr. O'Rourke. Prayers and Whiskey.

No comments: